Thinking of organizing a course or workshop or some other more or less public event at Hacklab or somewhere else. Great.
Wednesdays are the open house days so if the event is supposed to be on Wednesday it is best to schedule it to end before 1800. Tuesdays are usually the course/event days. Those are great for events as long as there is no double booking on dates. Check from calendar and minutes of community meetings from Discourse. It is also good to check http://kirjoitusalusta.fi/vaasahack to make sure there isn’t something not published in the works.
- Fix the date
- Figure out registration system. Google form, ti.to (ask to be added to hacklab-group),
- Add event to calendar (needs WordPress account, see note at bottom)
- + New -> Event
- Create promotional material, posters are easily created with Canva.com, remember to use only free items 🙂
- Logo and something can be found at Drive
- Create Facebook event, if applicable. If needed ask help from IRC/telegram/email
- Post about the event in blog (needs WordPress account)
- Blog post will automagically spread to email boxes, facebook, twitter. Cool
- If the event is for public print out some posters, bribe friends to print some, promote the event in Facebook by sharing and liking.
- In Facebook there is “Tapahtumia Vaasassa” group and page, share it to the group and then group admins will later=more closer to event share it to the page.
To get a WordPress account surf to pretty far down on front page and look for Meta on the right-hand sidebar. There should be link to register. Create a user account and if in hurry ask more rights from IRC/telegram/email as the account needs to be associated administrative role before it is possible to create content.
The login to WordPress is in the same Meta section for you to use when you need it again later.